Chunky green tomato salsa: Salsa, America’s favourite sauce! This being said we thought we would have a go at making some salsa at The Farm at Rockledge Garden’s on Saurday, without the aid of a food processor. Just a chopping board, sharp knife and of course a wonderful selection of the necessary organically grown veggies from The Farm.
We were a bit short on hot pepper at The Farm, so had to improvise with a chili and lime spice rub we found in our ‘secret store of ingredients you might like to add’.
We did build this chunky green tomato salsa on the run, as it were, but we got some great feedback and so are passing our recipe on to you. You can grab your copy from our ever-growing recipe box at The Farm.
- 12 medium freshly picked green tomatoes, room temperature and diced
- 4 – 5 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch (about 10) spring onions, finely chopped and including the good green leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly picked cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice (we used the key lime juice you can find at the supermarkets)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 – 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chili and lime spice blend
- 2 tablespoons Vi’s sweet habanero jelly
- Place all of your ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir well to combine and allow it to stand at room temperature for up to 30 minutes which will give time for all the flavours to infuse.