Butterhead lettuce farmer’s market salad: The moment we saw this salad we could see it was one to add to the recipe box at The Farm at Rockledge Gardens.
It pretty much includes everything that you can gather at The Farm and is so colourful we it almost reminds us of one of our favourite colourful salads, the French Salad Niçoise. The silken leaves of the butterhead lettuce are perfect for this butterhead lettuce farmer’s market salad, since it’s leaves are shaped beautifully for cupping the dressing and the other ingredients.
We found this recipe at Farm Girl Gourmet.com and hope you enjoy it as much as we have:
Butterhead Salad with Olives, Spring Peas and Roasted Beets with Spicy Olive Vinaigrette
Ingredients: Makes 2 Servings
- 2 small beets, quartered
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 head of butter lettuce, cut or torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup spring peas (or thawed frozen peas)
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 small carrot, scraped and finely grated
- 12 whole black olives, such as Kalamata
- 1/8 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or other hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Place quartered beets on a small baking sheet and drizzle with the 2 teaspoons olive oil. Lightly salt and pepper. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and roast for 35-40 minutes, or until a fork pierces the beets easily. Allow to cool until you can handle the beets and slip off the outer skin. Set aside.
- On 2 medium plates, arrange the lettuce. Divide the remaining ingredients (peas through cilantro) among the 2 plates. Add the cooled beets.
- In a small mason jar add all of the vinaigrette ingredients and shake vigorously to combine. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over the salad and serve immediately.