Roast rabbit with thyme
By Michel Roux Jr (BBC Good Food)
This simple Sunday roast is ready in 45 minutes, just enough time to prepare the side dishes of your choice. Get your butcher to joint the rabbit.
- 1 whole farmed rabbit (about 1.2kg)
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 4-6 tbsp olive oil
- 12 small onions or shallots, peeled
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- Ask your butcher to joint the rabbit, cutting the legs into two pieces, the saddle into three and the shoulders and front into two. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Put the rabbit in a large roasting tin, season and add 1 tbsp of the thyme leaves. Add the oil and toss until the rabbit is well coated. Roast for 20 mins.
- Add the onions or shallots and the garlic, then stir well and roast for another 15 mins, stirring again halfway through. Sprinkle over the remaining thyme before serving.