Thai green curry with shrimp: This recipe was part of a collection of dishes cooked for Glenn Beck when he visited Melbourne, Florida to promote his book ‘The Christmas Sweater’. Now there’s a blast from the past!
Theresa from The Farm at Rockledge Gardens has recently handed over to my care, a kaffir lime tree. Those that know me well will know that I am not always the best person to be given responsibility for a living plant. They either thrive through neglect or they don’t, but I keep trying.
I am so excited to have this tree because it means that I can get stuck into making Thai curry again … and again … and again. Every time I made my Thai green curry with shrimp, people couldn’t get enough of it. So a constant supply of kaffir lime leaves is essential to keep everyone happy.
Ingredients for Thai green curry with shrimp: Serves 4 – 6
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 level teaspoon lemon pepper
- 3 lb (1 1/2 kg) shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 15 ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 5 fresh kaffir lime leaves, remove the stems and discard, then chope very finely
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- Add the vegetable oil to a 12″ heavy frying pan and add the lemon pepper.
- When the oil is shimmering and hot, add the shrimp, onions and pepper.
- Stir-fry until the shrimp are cooked through and lightly browned.
- Remove the shrimp and onion from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the green curry paste, 1 can of the coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves.
- Cook over a low to medium heat and stir until you see the oil from the curry paste, rise to the top of the sauce.
- Add the shrimp, onion and pepper back to the pan with the sauce.
- Add the other can of coconut milk and sugar.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for just 10 – 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice.