Octopus antipasto: All around the Mediterranean you will find marinated octopus being served up as an antipasto. Now you can recreate your experience of this enjoying octopus on Ponza, with this recipe.
- 1 large Octopus (at least 500 grams / 1 lb), cleaned
- A good handful of fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
- Put the octopus in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil and cook over a medium heat for up to 1 hour or until it is tender enough for a fork to run through it (like potatoes).
- Once cooked, turn off the heat and allow it to cool in the water – this is the secret to it being tender.
- Drain and cut into bite size pieces.
- Marinade in the lemon juice with the garlic for up to 2 hours turning at least once.
- Add the parsley and enough olive oil to cover.
- When you are ready to serve, adjust the seasoning .
- Serve as an antipasto.