I really like making cakes and lately I have been passionate about cake design, I am not particularly good at it but little by little I experiment and look for the best recipes.
The sponge cake is not a “new cake” but it’s really one of the best cakes that I could test for the cakes decorated with the sugar paste (sp for friends).
There are thousands of different recipes, some people use the yeast, others do not.
In fact, the original sponge cake does not contain yeast.
The secret is all in whisking the eggs properly.
Today I leave you my favorite recipe for the sponge cake, ultra tested.
- 5 eggs
- 150g sugar
- 74g flour
- 74g potato starch
- vanillin (optional)
1. preheat the oven to 180°
2. separate the egg whites from the yolks
3. whip the yolks with a half of the sugar for about 15 min, until they take on a frothy texture and change color in a light yellow
4. now whip the eggs white until they take on a frothy texture too
5. always keeping the mixer on, put in the mixture the rest of the sugar until the mixture becomes lucid
6. now add the yolks and gently mix with a spatula
7. pass through a sieve flour, vanillin and potato starch together
8. Gently mix
9. grease and cover in flour the cake pan, and then pour the mixture in it
10. oven cook for 25-30 min
11. the best is to use the sponge cake the day after you prepared it
12. I usually leave it for one night covered in a wet dishcloth, but you can also wrap it in cellophane and freeze it
Translated by Gustose traduizioni
Sito italiano: http://gustosetraduizioni.altervista.org/
In English: http://gustosetraduizioni.altervista.org/tastytranslations.htm