Miso burgers with
mint & pomegranate slaw
(From BBC Good Food)
If you’re after some healthy vegetarian burgers look no further than these, made with chickpeas plus a delicious mint and pomegranate slaw on the side.
- 75 gr bulghar wheat
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 30 gr pack coriander, stalks and leaves chopped but kept separate
- 1 lime, zested, ½ juiced, ½ cut into 4 wedges
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
For the slaw
- ½ small white cabbage, shredded
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded (ideally with a julienne peeler)
- 1 pomegranate seeds only
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Cook the bulghar in a small pan of water for 5 mins. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the onions and garlic, stirring, for 5 mins or until starting to turn golden. Add the carrots and chilli, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 mins until the carrots soften. Add the cumin, ground coriander, coriander stalks and lime zest, and stir well.
- Tip the chickpeas into a bowl and crush with a masher or fork, then add the eggs and miso to form a chunky paste.
- Drain the bulghar well and stir into the spicy vegetables. Take off the heat, shape into eight burgers and place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or until firm and starting to turn golden.
- For the slaw, combine all the ingredients in a big bowl with the lime juice and coriander leaves. Serve with the burgers and lime wedges for squeezing over.