Americans love strong flavors in their food and particularly anything sweet. This salad has a sweet vinegar backdrop which the whole family will find irresistible. Mint is an easy herb to grow at The Farm and is always readily available. It works as the perfect aromatic that helps to lift all the other flavors.
Ingredients for 4 – 6
- 250 grams Pasta Nostra cavatappi
- 3 medium – large beetroot, steamed, cooled, peeled and diced
- 50 mls pickled silver skin onions, plus some of the pickle juice, cut them into quarters
- 50 mls balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- Zest of 1 small to medium lemon
- 50 mls extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams loosely packed, fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and run under cold, running water to stop it cooking further, then drain again. Toss the pasta in the olive oil and set aside.
- Take one of the beets and mash it with a fork. Then in a large mixing bowl, bring all of the ingredients together and combine well.
- Check the seasoning before covering and chilling in the fridge for up to 1 hour before serving.