Baked ziti with zucchini is a pretty dish and perfect to prepare with our homemade pasta rigatoni or dried ziti! Baked homemade pasta rigatoni with zucchini is a wonderful way of making the most of the profuse amounts of zucchini that are often available when they come into season. We also like this recipe because it is simple and unfussy, can be prepared in advanced and frozen if necessary.
Just a tip: Baked pastas are even better served the next day!
Ingredients for baked ziti with zucchini – Serves 2 – 4
- 1 lb (500 grams) homemade pasta penne or rigatoni pasta (dried will do, just follow the instructions on the packet)
- 1 lb (500 grams) zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 oz (300 grams) mozzarella, diced
- 1 pint (500 ml) bechemal sauce
- 4 oz (100 grams) grated cheese to taste
- 2 ounces butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to taste
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- Wash the zucchini and cut them lengthwise into thin slices.
- Fry in olive oil then put them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Add salt and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted water to al dente, drain and put it in a bowl then toss with a little olive oil and a few tablespoons of the bechemal sauce.
- Take a baking dish and put a little of sauce on the bottom.
- The make a layer of pasta and a layer of zucchini.
- Cover with some bechemal sauce and mozzarella and a generous sprinkling of grated cheese.
- Make another layer as before and finish with a sprinkling of cheese and dot with the butter.
- Bake at 200C / 390F degrees for 15-20 minutes until the cheese melts and turns golden brown.
- Allow to rest for up to 10 minutes before serving.
FROM: In Cucina Con Mara